[rt-users] Can Simple.html search Email OR Content (not AND) ?

Kenneth Marshall ktm at rice.edu
Thu May 21 15:16:06 EDT 2009

On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:41:50AM -0700, allen+rtlist at crystalfontz.com wrote:
> > This known issue that if email is not in the db then result would be
> > empty even if condition is ORed with another, but believe me correct
> > query will kick breath out of your DB server.
> >

> Are you saying that this "known issue" is a bug or is it intentional?
>
> I know that with a ton of tickets, this kind of "search everything" is
> not practical. But this will be a new RT deployment and I need to ease
> the support staff (and the boss) into getting used to this new system.
> Eventually I know they will find the QueryBuilder screen to be very
> precise and great, but right now everything is new and different and
> that screen scares them. They think it's too complicated.
>
> That's why I'd like to get the "WHERE EmailAddress like '%foo%' OR
> 'Content like '%foo%' OR'd together instead of having the EmailAddress
> separated from the rest of the query by an "AND."
>
> Thanks,
>
> A.

Allen,

This will result in every search being a full scan of the database
looking for a match in the content. This will cripple your system
for all but the smallest of databases. If you really intend to search
in the content, please choose and use a database backend that supports
full-text indexing. I know that the wiki has recipes for Oracle and
PostgreSQL.

Cheers,
Ken