[rt-users] Perl is Broken after Centos 5.4 update

Gary L. Greene, Jr. ggreene at minervanetworks.com
Fri Nov 13 13:02:51 EST 2009

On Friday 13 November 2009 8:04:35 am Jerrad Pierce wrote:
> This is not an RT problem per se, and it is yet another example of the
> problems with relying upon externally controlled (automatically
> updated) libraries to run a large 3rd party system i.e; you should
> ideally have a local perl installation to run RT.
>
> RH ES4 is known to use an outdated and incompatible Scalar::Util,
> perhaps ES5 does as well.
>
> > "make testdeps" will not run with *** No rule to make target
> > `testdeps'.  Stop. error.
>
> Then your build tree is seriously borked. Fetch and extract another
> copy so that you *can* run make testdeps.

I've been running RT just fine on a CentOS box. Note that I've built all
modules that are required as packages, and noted the breakage of various core
modules as shipped by RH from the CentOS mailing list, so I build packages for
those too parented in the site_perl tree. IMO, the need for a source
built/local build of Perl is NEVER a good solution to hand to users. Running a
ticketing tool shouldn't require a user to build a local copy of a core
distribution component.

--
Gary L. Greene, Jr.
IT Operations