[rt-users] Question about changing the look and feel of RT

Matthew Seaman matthew.seaman at thebunker.net
Mon Nov 16 12:41:52 EST 2009

elsif wrote:
> RT 3.8.5 on FreeBSD-6.2 using Apache 2.2.6 using mason_handler.fcgi
>
> I can not figure out how to change the color scheme of RT to be red
> instead of blue.
>
> I've Googled the hell out of the issue and have yet to come to a solution.
>
> I've found and replaced:
> /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/css/web2/images/source/background-gradient.png

Not using the FreeBSD ports then...

> ...with my own, which results in the top menu bar "RT at a glance" + "New
> ticket in" toolbar is now red.
>
> The rest of the page remains blue.
>
> I've tried changing multiple color entries in multiple .css files, but
> have yet to find the one that works.
>
> My HTML source refers to:
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="/NoAuth/css/web2/main-squished.css" type="text/css" media="all" />
>
> ...but I have no main-squished.css anywhere.  I've tried changing settings
> in /opt/rt3/share/html/NoAuth/css/web2/main.css, but have yet to find the
> right one.
>
> The worst part about this is that I know I've found the answer to this
> years ago in what was probably RT 3.0.x ro 3.1.x...and I know the answer
> must be out there somewhere, but just can't find it...
>
> If anyone can provide me guidance here, I would greatly appreciate it.

You should follow the 'cleanly customize' concepts, which means creating
a parallel directory tree under /opt/rt3/local/html (I think.  It might be just /opt/rt3/local) [It's /usr/local/www/rt38 if you use the ports layout.]

Under there create a directory tree like so:

    mkdir -p NoAuth/css/web2/images/source

Your replacement background gradient (an 800x2 pixel PNG image) goes into:

    NoAuth/css/web2/images/source/background-gradient.png

Then you need to copy the original layout.css from /opt/rt3/html/NoAuth/css/web2
into your new locally modified tree:

    NoAuth/css/web2/layout.css

Edit this file to change the background colour to match the bottom end of your
gradient file -- look for this section close to the top of the file and change as
indicated:

body {

    padding:0;
    margin:0;

    background: #a2a2a2 url(<%RT->Config->Get('WebPath')%>/NoAuth/css/web2/images/background-gradient.png) top left repeat-x ;
                ^^^^^^^^
    font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif;

}

Here I've changed the original blue colour (#547CCC) to a fairly light grey (#a2a2a2)

Finally you need to copy .../NoAuth/css/web2/images/dhandler unchanged into the
equivalent position in your new local tree.  Clear the mason cache and restart apache.  You should now have a customized background gradient.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--
Dr Matthew Seaman                     The Bunker, Ash Radar Station
PGP: 0x60AE908C on servers            Marshborough Rd