[rt-users] binary attachment corrupted when RT mails them out

Mauricio Tavares raubvogel at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 09:43:35 EST 2009

     Here is an update in my sending corrupt attachments issue:

o We got a 3MB test image and made a 600K and a 1.6G version of it. The
600K went fine but the 1.4G one got corrupted all the time.

o So, we wrote a wrapper to make a copy of the email that is being sent
from RT to the mail program we were using, ssmtp. The attachment at this
point was fine down to matching MD5 checksums. But the one sent by ssmtp
had issues.

Therefore, the problem is not on RT but on ssmtp. It seems it cannot
handle larger attachments for whatever reason. Maybe that is the price
for using so light weight program. I guess we now need to find a good
replacement for it today. I like postfix but think for this application
it is a bit of an overkill. But, I do not know what else to do. Suggestions?

At least now we know where the problem is. =)