[rt-users] Pruning email responses

Robert Nesius nesius at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 15:37:52 EST 2009

Thanks very much, Mike.

My experience with ticket systems in the past is a bit different from RT,
and your post illuminated that more clearly.   The work flow i've used in
the past is:

Customer -> Support  - Help
Support -> Customer  - clarifying question (which creates an email)
customer -> support - response (via email)
support -> customer - another question or detail (via email)

During these interactions happening in email, the ticket system is CC'd and
silently logs each new iteration into the ticket history, from which the
entire history can be replayed.  Additionally, the ticket system always
displayed all past interactions underneath the new data... so it could be
referenced if necessary.

I see now more clearly RT isn't quite intended to work that way and that the
intent is for ticket owners to really use the web application as the
interface versus email.  I think that's a paradigm shift I can make.  I'm
not sure I like it, but I think that feeling of discomfort stems from a lack
of experience, and over time I may even like RT's approach better.

Thanks again for your very articulate and illuminating response.

-Rob