[rt-users] Cut/paste in reply or comment

Andy Speagle andy.speagle at wichita.edu
Fri Oct 2 08:46:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-10-02 at 05:01 -0500, Joe Kirby wrote:
> I am on 3.82 and when some users cut/paste into a reply or comment
> the
> history show lots of special characters
>
> I cannot replicate this even when I try what they said they did.
>
> Any ideas? I ignored the first ticket as oper error but I have
> gotten
> a few more and from some folks who are good technically

Now, interesting copy/paste issues I've seen have been with newer MS
products (office & things).  When you cut/copy text from something like
MS Outlook, it copies as HTML formatted text.  When you paste that into
RT, you can't tell immediately that it's HTML because RT is web-based
and handles it just fine... shows you only the text that you think you
copied.  However, ALL of this goes into the database and if you have the
default 12k inline character limit setup... RT will complain that it's
not raw text, because it truncates it somewhere in the middle of the
HTML formatting and becomes confused about the nature of the content.

You can see in plain text exactly what was posted by clicking the
"Download" link in the history...

Can you give more information regarding how the user was copy/paste'ing?
What kind of data?  From which software?...
--
Andy Speagle

"THE Student" - UCATS
Wichita State University