[rt-users] Request for RT briefing/demo slide deck

Allen allen+rtlist at crystalfontz.com
Tue Oct 6 02:13:19 EDT 2009

> Has anybody briefed their employer about what/how RT works and why it is a good option to move to this particular product?  I'm going to be giving a briefing about RT tomorrow and am currently coming up with some slides however if there is someone out there who wouldn't mind sending along what they've already done it may help speed up the process.
>
> Thank you,
> Drew

Drew,

If your organization is handling issues for customers than you have to
have a management system that helps you accomplish all that work in an
organized manner. You could write it on paper, but software is better,
multiuser and more updateable. There are more expensive software that
you an buy, like "Track It" but RT is widely used by thousands of
orgs, many of them somewhat famous in their own right )MIT, NASA,
Merril Lynch, etc). And RT is open source, which means if you want to
change how it looks or works, it is not too hard to do.

If you are not using a tracking system now, then you are probably
wasting resources having multiple people work on the same issue at the
same time without knowing what each other is doing, answering people
for the same questions and maybe giving them different or
contradictory answers, wasting time waiting for some "dealer" person
to assign tasks to people instead of people being able to go see where
tasks are created and take them right away.

The first chapter of the "RT Essentials" O'Reilly book has a much more
in depth explanation of why any ticketing system is necessary when
more than a few people are trying to handle issues for more than a few
customers. Some of it can even be read online for free, just search
google. I asked my company to buy me one and they did.