[rt-users] Add "My Requests" to RT at a Glance

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Oct 14 15:24:49 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 02:30:54PM -0400, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-10-13 at 19:00 -0400, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 06:17:45PM -0400, Jason A. Smith wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, there is one more step, since now when going to my Home
> > > page, I see this error message:
> > >
> > > Predefined search My Requests not found
> > >
> > > So, logged in to the web interface as the RT admin (so all users would
> > > see this saved search), I went to the Tickets->Advanced page and entered
> > > this Query:
> > >
> > > Requestor.id = '__CurrentUser__' AND (  Status = 'new' OR Status = 'open' )
> > >
> > > Hit the Apply button and saved the search under RT System's saved
> > > searches with the Description: "My Requests"
> >
> > This is all that should be required, since you'll see a Saved Search:
> > My Requests on the homepage editing UI
>
> Okay, I see it, but maybe because I saved it under the RT System's saved
> searches, it appears in the list above the other available saved
> searches, but without "Saved Search:" prepended to it.

Yes, global searches like that don't have the prefix, try a personal
or group search.

> It is somewhat of a pain to have to first create that saved search
> before having this available on the home page since I would think it
> would be a very common thing to want to add.  Since this is available to
> SelfService users, why can't it be made easier for privileged users to
> have access to the same thing?

It isn't actually that common a request in my experience.  Many
privileged users are working on outside requests, rather than their
own requests.  If someone refactored SelfServive/Elements/MyRequests
and addeed an /Elements/MyRequests that used the shared code and sent
a patch I don't see any reason it wouldn't be considered for inclusion
in a future RT.

But I've usually just added a saved search when people need it since
it grants better control over the format and displayed columns.

-kevin