[rt-users] VERP {excuse me}

Jerrad Pierce jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org
Thu Oct 22 20:11:03 EDT 2009

(Neglected to reply-to all earlier, have added additional info about
current status)

> Grep for VERP in code, it's ~10 lines in one file. Pretty easy to understand.
Right, did that, which is why I was wondering where the other half was,
to which you've responded "roll your own." Fair enough.

It seems a cheap system might be to do:
  #RT_SiteConfig.pm
  Set($VERPPrefix, 'verp+');

  #/etc/aliases
  verp: "|/opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate --queue General --action comment --url
 https://rt.example.org/"

...except that subject's aren't preserved in bounces

> Handling bounces:
> http://wiki.bestpractical.com/history/RtBounceHandler
Seen it. Never got it to work, and haven't had a chance to get back
around to it, but it would be nice.

It did not work well with the SpamAssassin filter since it seems to pick an
odd sender from the original message (MAILER-DAEMON). I added a minor patch,
which I'll post to the wiki, to use the VERP address if available. With this the
system allowed the comment to be logged.

I'll probably end up creating a wrapper around this though, to set a
flag indicating the user's address is bad; CF{Tags}.='bounce'