[rt-users] RT on Ubuntu trouble

David Griffith dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu
Tue Sep 8 11:42:44 EDT 2009

I have a fresh Ubuntu 9.04 machine on which I mostly sucessfully installed
RT and accompanying packages using the guide found here:
http://wiki.bestpractical.com/view/UbuntuHardyInstallGuide.  Somehow email
didn't work, so I gradually pulled things out until I pulled out
everything I installed from that guide and started over.  Now I cannot get
/usr/sbin/rt-setup-database-3.6 to populate the database correctly.  I
invoke the script the first time and get the expected user error message.
Then I follow the instructions to create a user, grant privileges, then
drop the database.  When I invoke the setup script the second time, I get
the same error message:

Now inserting RT core system objects
[Tue Sep  8 15:31:18 2009] [crit]: Connect Failed Access denied for user
'rt_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
  at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-database-3.6 line 444
(/usr/share/request-tracker3.6/lib/RT.pm:366)
Connect Failed Access denied for user 'rt_user'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)
  at /usr/sbin/rt-setup-database-3.6 line 444

It should be noted that the user referred to in the error message is
"rt_user" whereas in the guide the user is "rtuser".  The referenced guide
for Gentoo also uses "rt_user".  I tried both variations.

Why did the setup work the first time and not on subsequent times?  How
can I get things working?  Does anyone have any other pointers on running
RT with MySQL?

--
David Griffith
dgriffi at cs.csubak.edu