[rt-users] Creating tickets from mails without usercreation

Stephen R. van den Berg srb at cuci.nl
Thu Sep 10 19:23:22 EDT 2009

I am running RT 3.8.4 on Debian under lighttpd and fast-cgi, connected
to a custom PostgreSQL database.  That is working just fine, I even
tweaked the setup such that I have virtualised the RT setup.
I.e. I'm running multiple databases on multiple virtual webservers
to provide more RT instances.

If anyone is interested in the lighttpd setup, ask.

However, in trying to use it in the way I'd like to use it, I seem to
encounter some slight difficulties.

The intention is to use RT as the primary entry point for an info@
mailbox of an organisation.  I tried looking this up on the RT-Wiki
and mailinglist, the descriptions were sketchy at best.

That means that:
- There is going to be spam eventually (yes, we try to filter it out
  before reaching RT, but the filtering is bound to get worse over time).
- I need the mails to go into RT as tickets immediately.
- I would like to erase some tickets permanently from the repository and
  database (in case they are determined to be spam, keeping them in the
  database won't work in the long run).
- In order to keep database bloat to a minimum, the incoming mails should
  not create users automatically.
- If creating users is inevitable on initial import of mails, then it should
  be possible for the user to be autoremoved again after the ticket which
  created them has been removed.
- Ideally, at the time the tickets are moved (manually) from the incoming
  queue to a specific queue, a user should be created automatically (just
  like what happens currently), and the autoreply can be sent.
- First receiving the mails in a separate mailbox and only then inserting
  the mails into the system one-by-one is not really an option
  because I have several persons which do the reading.

Is something like that possible without perl customisations?
If yes, how?
If no, any hints on where/how to implement it?
--
Sincerely,
           Stephen R. van den Berg.

Mommy, what happens to your files when you die?