[rt-users] Install on CentOS, best current instructions

Jerrad Pierce jpierce at cambridgeenergyalliance.org
Fri Aug 6 14:40:09 EDT 2010

> Why non-system perl, Jerrad? I've never had a problem with it (that I know
> of), but have I just been lucky?
>
> My only RPM-related problem is having to reinstall a current version of
> Sys::Syslog after every yum update (anyone know why that happens?)

Precisely. RedHat is bad at not clobbering newer versions of modules
(RPM has the ability to run prep scripts, which could check to see that
the version being replaced is not newer than the package to be installed).

You encounter this, and on Centos 4 I encounter File::Temp occasionally
being downgraded to an incompatible version.