[rt-users] webmux.pl causing Apache to fail

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Dec 3 07:47:28 EST 2010

On Fri, 3 Dec 2010 10:40:49 -0000
"Alex Young" <AlexYoung at HousingPartners.co.uk> wrote:

[...]
> I'm receiving an odd error with RT 3.8.8 on Ubuntu 10.4 and 10.10 x64.
> Seems to be some kind of update that doesn't play well with webmux.pl.
[...]
> I removed the link to  /opt/rt3/etc/apache2-modperl2.conf and Apache
> ran fine.
[...]

First, is there any reason not to use the stock request-tracker3.8
package available in Ubuntu? Does it have the same error?

Otherwise the only idea I have is that the DB backend configured for
your RT instance is unavailable at the time apache starts because
what webmux.pl does, among other things, is connecting to the specified
DBMS. We had a bug with similar symptoms in Debian [1]. In my case,
apache failed to start after waiting for a timeout due to inaccessible
MySQL server; may be your case is similar just the timeout is not
triggered for some reason.

1. http://bugs.debian.org/595054