[rt-users] RT Sending Email too SLOW

Naresh Maharaj naresh at hewittandmay.com
Thu Dec 9 16:48:56 EST 2010

Hi

We really need some help resolving the slow email issue.
I have been researching this for over 2 weeks now before calling our to
RT_Users.
I have searched all of the below,

http://wiki.bestpractical.com/
http://gossamer-threads.com/lists/rt/
http://www.google.com/

and much wider across the Internet. Almost given up!!

Overall there are no issues with email leaving RT - email reaches all
destinations
There are no issues raising tickets into the queue via email.
Overall speed of moving around RT Web front end is fast / acceptable

++Issue:
replying to a ticket takes up to 30 seconds to complete and sending the
email in some cases up to 1 min.
this is simply prohibitive to use in a professional setup.

++Other Issues:
Squirrel Mail (Linux Web Mail) has the same issue, up to 30 seconds to send
an email - no solution
SSH to shell remotely same problem 30s - Now resolved by removing the DNS
lookup: /etc/ssh/sshd_config  [UseDNS no]
SFTP - Slow 30 sec - fixed by line above
Sendmail takes 30 sec to send an email from command line test an issue we
have had with php apps for over a year - now resolved by :
Edit the sendmail.cfg

Was:
# pass to name server to make hostname canonical
R$* $| $* < @ $* > $*          $: $2 < @ $[ $3 $] > $4

Now:
# pass to name server to make hostname canonical
#R$* $| $* < @ $* > $*          $: $2 < @ $[ $3 $] > $4

OR
sendmail.mc
Add:
FEATURE(`nocanonify')dnl

then rebuiuld sendmail using m4

Sendmail now blistering fast.

++RT mail Configuration:
Previously I was using sendmailpipe
$MailCommand = 'sendmailpipe';
$SendmailArguments = "-oi -t";
$SendmailPath = "/usr/sbin/sendmail";

Now that I have confirmed that Sendmail is NOT the issue I am now using:
$MailCommand = 'sendmailpipe';
#$SendmailArguments = "-oi -t";
$SendmailArguments = "-oi -ODeliveryMode=b -OErrorMode=m";
$SendmailPath = "/usr/sbin/sendmail";

Also have soft link:
/etc/smrsh/rt-mailgate -> /opt/rt3/bin/rt-mailgate

Note sure what else to test.

The common denominator here is Apache Http
So here is the conf entry for RT:

[root at caitanya conf]# diff httpd.conf httpd.conf.working.20101126
997,1015d996
< Alias /rt "/opt/rt3/share/html"
< PerlModule Apache::DBI
< PerlRequire /opt/rt3/bin/webmux.pl
< <Directory /opt/rt3/share/html>
<   AllowOverride All
<   Options ExecCGI FollowSymLinks
<   <IfModule mod_access.c>
<         Order allow,deny
<       Allow from all
<   </IfModule>
< </Directory>
<
< <Location /rt>
<   RewriteEngine On
<   RedirectMatch permanent (.*)/$ $1/index.html
<   AddDefaultCharset UTF-8
<   SetHandler perl-script
<   PerlHandler RT::Mason
< </Location>

Appreciate any help that one can give.
Its the only issue stopping us from moving RT from test environment to
production.

Naresh Maharaj,

Hewitt & May (Shirtmakers) Ltd
email: info at hewittandmay.com