[rt-users] Content searching takes a long time and runs multiple queries

Joop van de Wege JoopvandeWege at mococo.nl
Fri Dec 10 09:49:40 EST 2010

Jesse Vincent wrote:

> "Justin Hayes" <justin.hayes at openbet.com> wrote:
>
>> Any view on which is faster Jesse (postgres or mysql/sphinx)?
>>

> I haven't yet benchmarked em.
>
>> Also how much faster than the old Content search are we talking? Orders
>> of magnitude, or just 'faster'?
>
> Having played with one of the implementations, it's night and day.
That is, IMHO, if you don't prefix queries for content with % which will
kill any and all indices on your table.
I have removed the pre/post pending of % from Searchbuilder because of
this. I rather have that people complain they can't find something then
that they kill the database. Now they know that if they want search for
content that they need to add a % at the end and if they really need it
at the front but they also know that they are gonna wait for it.

Regards,

Joop