[rt-users] RT problem with ticket creation via email

Ken Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Wed Feb 17 16:17:32 EST 2010

To list,

I have been testing our 3.8.7 session and all looks well, with the
exception of creating tickets via email.
I can create tickets fine via the WebUI, but emails gives no joy. I get
this email back:

RT could not load a valid user, and RT's configuration does not allow
for the creation of a new user for this email (kfcrocker at lbl.gov).

You might need to grant 'Everyone' the right 'CreateTicket' for the
queue Test.

I have, of course, applied the "CreateTicket" right to everyone for the Queue "Test". Still no joy.

I am thinking that since the email gets to RT, it is probably a filter of some sort in our Config settings.

We are using the ExternalAuth extension and ourLDAP filters work fine
with signing onto the WebUI and using the system in ALL of it's aspects.
These are our LDAP settings:

       'My_LDAP' => {            'type'         => 'ldap',
            'server'       => 'xxxx.xxx.xxx',    # x'd out for this email
            'user'         => '',
            'pass'         => '',
            'base'         => 'ou=people,o=Company Name,c=us',
            'filter'         =>
'(&(|(xxxEmpStat=Staff)(xxxEmpStat=Guest))(|(xxxpan=XX*)))',
            'd_filter'     => '(!(|(xxxEmpStat=Staff)(xxxEmpStat=Guest)))',
            'tls'          => 1,
            'net_ldap_args' => [    version =>  3   ],
            'attr_match_list' => ['Name',
                                  'EmailAddress',
                                  'RealName',
                                  'uid',
                                 ],

            'attr_map'     => {  'Name'            => 'uid',
                                 'EmailAddress'    => 'mail',
                                 'Organization'    => 'o',
                                 'RealName'        => 'cn',
                                 'ExternalAuthId'  => 'uid',
                                 'Gecos'           => 'uid',
                                 'WorkPhone'       => 'telephoneNumber',
                                 'Address1'        => 'xxxMailStop',
                                 'Address2'        =>
'postalAddress',                              }
           }
      }

These are some other settings that I think /*MIGHT*/ apply:

Set($TruncateLongAttachments, 1);
Set($LookupSenderInExternalDatabase, 1);    # not actually functional
-alinc
Set($SenderMustExistInExternalDatabase, 1);
Set($ValidateUserEmailAddresses, 1);
Set($SendmailPath, "/usr/lib/sendmail");
Set($WebExternalAuto , 0); # Do not create accounts based on REMOTE_USER
setting
Set($WebExternalAuthContinuous, 0); # prevent checking REMOTE_USER at
every page load

Any clues? Thanks.

Kenn
LBNL