[rt-users] email client integration

Nick Schmalenberger nick at schmalenberger.us
Fri Mar 26 12:16:35 EDT 2010

I have been using 3.6 for about a year fairly successfully, and I
have more recently setup the CommandByMail extension to help in
closing tickets as part of my email work process. I use mutt for
email, and I wrote a perl script that takes an email on stdin and
sends an email with the same subject as to the comment address of
the queue, with Status: resolved. Then, I have
macro pager S "<pipe-entry>~/bin/rtresolve.pl"
in my muttrc so I just press a key while viewing the message to
close the ticket. However, I still don't have a good way of
seeing the status of tickets in mutt or another mail program. Has
anyone done anything like this, or have suggestions for my ticket
closing script?

#!/usr/bin/perl

use warnings;
use strict;

use Mail::Sendmail;

my ($replyto, $replyfrom, $subject, $queue, $rthost, $isaticket);

#it must be from the address RT thinks you have
$replyfrom="nick\@prgmr.com";

while (<STDIN>) {
        chomp $_;
        if (/^Reply-To: (.*@.*)$/) {$replyto=$1;}
        if (/^RT-Ticket:/) {$isaticket="true";}
        if (/^Subject: (.*)$/) {$subject=$1;}
}

if($isaticket) {
        if ($replyto=~/^(.*)(-comment){0}@(.*)$/) {
                $queue=$1;
                $rthost=$3;
        }
}
else {
        print "Not a ticket.\n";
        exit(1);
}

my %mail=(
        server => 'localhost',
        from => $replyfrom,
        to => "$queue-comment\@$rthost",
        subject => $subject,
        body => 'Status: resolved',
);

sendmail(%mail) or die $Mail::Sendmail::error;
exit(0);

Thanks,
Nick Schmalenberger