[rt-users] Frustrating attempts to install RT3.8 from RPM

Paul paul.crovella at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 18:49:11 EDT 2010

On 11/02/2010 02:19 PM, Wes Modes wrote:
> Hello, I have been struggling with attempts to install RT3.8 via RPMs.
>
> I know it is perfectly possible to install RT3.8 using the BP install
> scripts and docs, but I'd prefer to do it through yum for system
> sustainability, ease of updates and upgrades, etc.
>
> If I can't resolve this, I will just forget about RT3.8 and stick with
> RT3.6 of which there is a well-behaved RPM already in the EPEL repo.
>
> Wes

I'm currently going through a RT move from freebsd to rhel5 (long story,
would rather stay with freebsd but don't have a choice here) and have
found all kinds of annoying difficulties with yum (or, rather, the
packages available.) When I realized that I was trying to stick with yum
for ease of upgrades when yum was preventing me from easily keeping up
to date, life got a lot easier.

In the end I just let cpan install what it could and used yum for the
things that gave me trouble in cpan. Using RT's configure and make
targets is a lot easier and much more maintainable than having to roll
my own rpm just to do it the yum way.

Being stuck with an old version of the software in the name of easy
upgrades didn't make sense to me.

Cheers,
Paul