[rt-users] Why I am recommending 3.6 over 3.8 to my boss

Robert Grasso robert.grasso+nv at cedrat.com
Fri Nov 5 05:26:55 EDT 2010

Hello,

I have recently installed RT 3.8.7 on CentOS 5 (main RHEL clone), after several previous upgrades. The rpm you mention did not fit
our requirements.

This is my own opinion : as you increase your Unix/Linux/RedHat skills, you will feel less concerned by such issues.

BTW : the Best Practical installation scripts install RT in /opt, which is a standard location for extra software, according to the
Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#OPTADDONAPPLICATIONSOFTWAREPACKAGES

So their decision of installing RT in /opt is pretty compliant.

Besides, to me, maintaining the non-RedHat Perl modules is quite straightforward, using the Best Practical :

make testeps

make fixdeps

and of course, there is a slight burden, each time perl is updated by yum, I must install Scalar::Util from CPAN by hand again -
this has been painful the first time, now I am warned and it does not cost anything more on upgrades.

Regards
---
Robert GRASSO – System engineer

CEDRAT S.A.
15 Chemin de Malacher - Inovallée - 38246 MEYLAN cedex - FRANCE
Phone: +33 (0)4 76 90 50 45 - Fax: +33 (0)4 56 38 08 30
mailto:robert.grasso at cedrat.com - http://www.cedrat.com