[rt-users] How to use RT::CustomFieldValues::External

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Tue Oct 19 17:49:34 EDT 2010

Hi,

Start from CustomFieldValuesSources config option. Read docs in
lib/RT/CustomFieldValues/External.pm and use
lib/RT/CustomFieldValues/External/Groups.pm as example. However
connecting to MS SQL server on *nix is kinda tricky, so I would
recommend you to use something in between, for example a file where
you dump values and then read it from RT. Or just write a script that
will keep values at sync and run it periodically and don't use CFs
with external source at all.

The latter is preferred in terms of performance. The only reason is to
use external source is if external source changed very often and you
can not allow it to be out of sync even for a minute.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.