[rt-users] Re-directing mails/requests sent to the wrong RT Queue

Tom Sylwestrowicz tsylwest at ripe.net
Wed Sep 8 05:17:29 EDT 2010

Hi there,

This is more of a "can you do this with RT?" kind of question.

Scenario:

1. Someone external (Joe Bloggs) sends an e-mail requesting a service to
Operations at blah dot net.
2. The ticket ends up in the Operations RT queue.
3. Operations does not provide this service, therefore need to forward
the original request to the Service department (they don't use RT)

What I want to do is to be able to re-direct this request, using RT, to
the Services department, making it look like it came from Joe Bloggs.

I've seen the option to forward tickets to e-mail addresses, but this
makes the Operations Queue look like the sender. So when the Services
team gets the forwarded ticket, their non-RT ticketing system sends an
auto reply to the Operations queue and not to Joe Bloggs.

My question is, does RT (our version is 3.8.2) have the functionality to
forward this ticket *as* the original requestor? In this case as Joe
Bloggs.

If the functionality is not built in, will it take a lot of coding to
get this to work?

Best Regards,
Tom