[rt-users] Slow Ticket History

Jeff Fearn jfearn at redhat.com
Thu Sep 9 23:57:13 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 22:52 -0400, Jesse Vincent wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 09, 2010 at 08:15:37AM +0100, Justin Hayes wrote:
> > We gave those patches a try. Shaved ~4s from our 20s, which isn't bad so we might look at rolling them into Live.
>
> Justin,
>
> Have you tried running ticket loads under Devel::NYTProf with the standalone server to try to identify what's up here for you?
>
> RT Training in Washington DC, USA on Oct 25 & 26 2010
> Last one this year -- Learn how to get the most out of RT!

NYTProf can also be used with Apache easily enough, short how to should
anyone want to try it.

1: install Devel::NYTProf on the web server

2: edit httpd.conf

comment out:

#PerlModule Apache::DProf

add:

<IfDefine NYTPROF>
    MaxClients 1
    PerlPassEnv NYTPROF
    PerlModule Devel::NYTProf::Apache
</IfDefine>

3: enable nytprof in service config file (/etc/sysconfig/httpd on Red
Hat systems)

Add:

OPTIONS='-D NYTPROF'

4: restart httpd

5: do a few things that lag in the gui

6: stop httpd, you need to stop it for nytprof to post process the
results. Remember to comment out the OPTIONS line from step 3 when you
want to disable profiling.

7: cd /tmp

8: convert the nytprof output to html, the file names are
nytprof.<parent_pid>.out.<child_pid>

e.g.

$ nytprofhtml -f nytprof.5766.out.5771

9: view output