[rt-users] "Could not load a valid user" problem

Tom Sylwestrowicz tsylwest at ripe.net
Wed Sep 15 05:42:25 EDT 2010

 Hi there,

We've got RT3 (v3.8.2) tied in to our LDAP here.

When user's e-mail the RT mail address, we quite often get the following
message:

RT could not load a valid user, and RT's configuration does not allow
for the creation of a new user for this email (joe.bloggs at ripe.net).

You might need to grant 'Everyone' the right 'ReplyToTicket' for the
queue Operations.

We don't really want to grant Everyone the ReplyToTicket permission.

I know why this error is happening here, it's basically because the LDAP
e-mail address field defaults to jbloggs at ripe.net. Joe has an alias that
he uses, which is joe.bloggs at ripe.net which is also set up in his e-mail
client. So when he sends a request to the RT queue, his address is seen
as joe.bloggs at ripe.net, which is not what's in LDAP. This is the default
e-mail setup we have here in the work place.

We can add an alias (Joe.Bloggs at ripe.net) for his user ID in LDAP, but
is there a way that RT3 would check the aliases fields in LDAP and then
associate incoming requests from the Joe.Bloggs at ripe.net alias with the
default LDAP e-mail address of jbloggs at ripe.net?

I'm hoping this is clear... I'm not the most technical of IT guys.

Best Regards,
Tom