[rt-users] Having RT ignore internal email not associated with a ticket

Joseph Spenner joseph85750 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 16:38:55 EDT 2011

--- On Mon, 4/11/11, Paul Fincher <pfincher at ghs.com> wrote:

From: Paul Fincher <pfincher at ghs.com>
Subject: [rt-users] Having RT ignore internal email not associated with a ticket
To: rt-users at lists.bestpractical.com
Date: Monday, April 11, 2011, 11:52 AM

Hi all,      We are getting ready to bring RT live and are passing the final hurdles.  One issue that I am working through is the following.  We are adding RT to already existing mail aliases which our support engineers currently monitor for incoming customer requests.  The problem is they also sometimes use these aliases for internal communication unrelated to a specific ticket.   I was hoping to have RT ignore these internal emails not related to a ticket.   From what I've seen in past posts I may be out of luck but just thought I'd see if someone had any ideas.  Thanks in advace,Paul   -------------------------------------------------------------
Paul Fincher
Senior Engineering Support Engineer

 When the original email is sent to create a ticket, it looks like any other email.  Subsequent tickets would contain a special subject unique to RT.  But that original email would always get into RT, and RT would not be able to determine if that email was intended for RT or not.However, you could write a perl interceptor which sits between RT and sendmail/postfix (ie: directly in the /etc/aliases file) which looks for a certain string of characters.  If the email does not contain this string, it passes it into RT; if the email does contain this string, it drops it.  So, if the email contained something like:  RT-IGNORE, then the perl script could ignore that message without piping it into RT.You would just need to make sure people include that RT-IGNORE in the body or the subject if RT is to ignore it.Maybe RT already has something in place to do this?  Not sure..