[rt-users] "bouncing" a ticket out of RT

Chris Barnes chris-barnes at tamu.edu
Mon Apr 18 10:01:47 EDT 2011

This is a "I wish RT had this function" email.  Can it go on the "wish
list" for the next version?    :-)

We use RT as a "computing help desk ticket system"- with a generic email
address for our entire group.  This way users only need to learn a
single email address for computing questions.   This works very well as
90% of the email that comes in are support requests.

About 5% of the email that comes in is spam.  Eh... I can live with that
(it's easy enough to set the status to "deleted" and move on).

This email is about that other 5% - those messages which are meant for
one of the IT folks directly (eg. administrivia within the dept).  What
I wish RT had was a "bounce/redirect" function (in pine/Thunderbird
addon terms).  Basically a way I could redirect the email message to
another address.

Note that this is similar to a forward.  But a standard forward creates
a whole new set of headers, where the message comes FROM the
intermediate person (in this case, RT).  A redirect forwards the
message, but leaves the headers completely intact - such that the new
recipient sees the message as if it came from the original person.

--
Chris Barnes                           AOL IM: CNBarnes
chris-barnes at tamu.edu                Yahoo IM: chrisnbarnes
Computer Systems Manager               MSN IM: chris at txbarnes.com
Department of Physics                      ph: 979-845-1379
Texas A&M University                      fax: 979-845-2590