[rt-users] Handling a ticket that contains MANY comments....

Chris Hall hiro24 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 10:32:31 EDT 2011

Hello all,

Question:  How should I best handle a ticket with multiple comments?  By
multiple, I mean 400+.

Here's the background.  Our helpdesk had to deal w/ a widespread outage.
 Tons upon tons of ppl were calling in for the entire day.  They decided
they needed to log all these calls, so they created on ticket, named for
this example "outage".  Everytime someone called in, they would open the
"outage" ticket and put a quick "advised user of outage" in the ticket.
 However, once the ticket started growing into the hundreds of comments, it
would nearly lock the server up when someone would access it.  The CPU would
peg out while the page was loaded, which would take roughly 2 minutes... and
with probably a new person trying to access the ticket every 15 seconds, you
could see how this was a problem.  It brought the entire ticketing system to
something of a standstill.

My question to you guys is how do I avoid something like this moving forward
in the future?  I found this:

http://search.cpan.org/~ruz/RT-Extension-ViaLink-UpdateTicket-0.02/lib/RT/Extension/ViaLink/UpdateTicket.pm

and was thinking it would resolve the problem, if I can format the link it
talks about to just update the ticket w/o trying to load/render a several
hundred line ticket.. what are your thoughts?  Would this work?