[rt-users] Upgrade to 4.01 MySQL questoin

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Mon Aug 8 18:26:35 EDT 2011

On Mon, Aug 08, 2011 at 03:05:53PM -0700, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
>    I am migrating from 3.8.4 to 4.01. I have a new server with 4.01 installed and mostly set up
>    how I want. I have pulled my database dumps into the new instance, performed the steps in
>    UPGRADING.mysql and run the script
>    /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database --prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade
>
>    I've missed something and I'm sure I saw it when reading the docs but now can't figure out
>    what I missed. After tweaking my set up I've tried restoring from last nights 3.8.4 instance
>    mysqldump and I have to manually set the passwords in MySQL to log in as the RT user. For
>    example:
>    UPDATE Users SET Password=md5('password') WHERE Name='user';
>
>    This lets the user log in - but only once, after a logout the user cannot again log in. I
>    believe there was a change in the hash used for passwords and that there is a script I need to
>    run to fix this but I cannot for the life of me find this again.
>
>    Am I on the right track and what can I tell you to help figure out what I missed?

It appears you didn't successfully complete the
    /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database --prompt-for-dba-password --action upgrade
step, since it will change the size of your Users.Password field (among lots
of other changes).  There is also a script to rehash your user
passwords which was included in our security updates and is documented
in docs/UPGRADING-3.8, but this bug is more likely to be related to an
incomplete database upgrade.

-kevin