[rt-users] ExternalAuth seems to do nothing

Erik Lyons elyons at opb.org
Fri Aug 12 13:32:20 EDT 2011

Thanks Kevin,

That helped, at least with getting some proper logging going on. I did
even get one or two cryptic references to ExternalAuth and LDAP in the
log. Unfortunately, though, I still don't see any evidence that a
connection is attempted. I'm a little concerned about escaping in the LDAP
admin user and password, as other open source products using this AD
require a username in the form "DOMAIN\Username", and our admin password
happens to contain an apostrophe. But if there is something wrong with the
admin login it would be cool to see an error to that effect.

Here is the newly-trimmed config (I removed the SSO/cookie items to keep
it simple):

Set($Timezone, "US/Pacific");
Set(@Plugins, (qw(RT::Authen::ExternalAuth)));
Set($DatabaseRTHost, "localhost");
#Set($LogToSyslog, "debug");
Set($LogToScreen, "error");
Set($LogToFile, "debug");
Set($LogToFileNamed, "rt.log");    #log to rt.log
Set($LogStackTraces, "error");
Set($LogDir, q{var/log});
Set($LogoLinkURL, "http://helpdesk.here.org");
Set($LogoAltText, "Your Help Desk from Information Technology");
Set($HomePageRefreshInterval, 1200);
Set($PlainTextPre, 0);
Set($SuppressInlineTextFiles, 1);
Set(@Active_MakeClicky, qw('httpurl'));
Set( $rtname, 'here.org' );
Set( $DatabaseUser, 'rt_user' );
Set( $CorrespondAddress, 'helpdesk at here.org' );
Set( $rtname, 'here.org' );
Set( $DatabaseRequireSSL, '' );
Set( $WebPort, '80' );
Set( $Organization, 'here.org' );
Set( $DatabaseType, 'mysql' );
Set( $DatabasePassword, 'secret' );
Set( $DatabaseAdmin, 'root' );
Set( $SendmailPath, '/usr/sbin/sendmail' );
Set( $WebDomain, 'helpdesk.here.org' );
Set( $DatabaseAdminPassword, 'secret' );
Set( $CommentAddress, 'helpdesk at here.org' );
Set( $DatabaseHost, 'localhost' );
Set( $DatabaseName, 'rt4' );
Set( $OwnerEmail, 'elyons at here.org' );
Set($ExternalAuthPriority,  [   'My_LDAP',
                               # 'My_MySQL',
                               # 'My_SSO_Cookie'
                            ]
);

# The order in which the services defined in ExternalSettings
# should be used to get information about users. This includes
# RealName, Tel numbers etc, but also whether or not the user
# should be considered disabled.
#
# Once user info is found, no more services are checked.
#
# You CANNOT use a SSO cookie for authentication.
Set($ExternalInfoPriority,  [  # 'My_MySQL',
                                'My_LDAP'
                            ]
);

# If this is set to true, then the relevant packages will
# be loaded to use SSL/TLS connections. At the moment,
# this just means "use Net::SSLeay;"
Set($ExternalServiceUsesSSLorTLS, 0);

# If this is set to 1, then users should be autocreated by RT
# as internal users if they fail to authenticate from an
# external service.
Set($AutoCreateNonExternalUsers, 0);

# These are the full settings for each external service as a HashOfHashes
# Note that you may have as many external services as you wish. They will
# be checked in the order specified in the Priority directives above.
# e.g.
#
Set(ExternalAuthPriority,['My_LDAP','My_MySQL','My_Oracle','SecondaryLDAP',
'Other-DB']);
#
Set($ExternalSettings,  {  # AN EXAMPLE LDAP SERVICE
        'My_LDAP'       =>  {   ## GENERIC SECTION
                # The type of service (db/ldap/cookie)
                'type'                      =>  'ldap',
                # The server hosting the service
                'server'                    =>  'blacksun.here.org',
                ## SERVICE-SPECIFIC SECTION
                # If you can bind to your LDAP server anonymously you
should
                # remove the user and pass config lines, otherwise specify
them here:
                #
                # The username RT should use to connect to the LDAP server
                'user'                      =>  'Administrator',
                # The password RT should use to connect to the LDAP server
                'pass'                    =>  'thing\'2011',
                #
                # The LDAP search base
                'base'                      =>  'ou=Organisational
Unit,dc=here,dc=org',
                #
                # ALL FILTERS MUST BE VALID LDAP FILTERS ENCASED IN
PARENTHESES!
                # YOU **MUST** SPECIFY A filter AND A d_filter!!
                #
                # The filter to use to match RT-Users
                'filter'                    =>
'(objectClass=organizationalPerson)',
                # A catch-all example filter: '(objectClass=*)'
                #
                # The filter that will only match disabled users
                'd_filter'                  =>  '(MILF)',
                # A catch-none example d_filter: '(objectClass=FooBarBaz)'
                #
                # Should we try to use TLS to encrypt connections?
                'tls'                       =>  0,
                # SSL Version to provide to Net::SSLeay *if* using SSL
                'ssl_version'               =>  3,
                # What other args should I pass to
Net::LDAP->new($host, at args)?
                'net_ldap_args'             => [    version =>  3   ],
                # Does authentication depend on group membership? What
group name?
                'group'                     =>  'member',
                # What is the attribute for the group object that
determines membership?
#               'group_attr'                =>  'GROUP_ATTR',
                'group_attr'                =>  'cn',
                ## RT ATTRIBUTE MATCHING SECTION
                # The list of RT attributes that uniquely identify a user
                        # This example shows what you *can* specify.. I
recommend reducing this
                        # to just the Name and EmailAddress to save
encountering problems later.
                        'attr_match_list'           => [    'Name',
                                             'EmailAddress'
                    #                         'EmailAddress',
                    #                         'RealName',
                    #                         'WorkPhone',
                    #                         'Address2'
                                         ],
                        # The mapping of RT attributes on to LDAP
attributes
                        'attr_map'                  =>  {   'Name' =>
'sAMAccountName',
                                             'EmailAddress' => 'mail',
                                             'Organization' =>
'physicalDeliveryOfficeName',