[rt-users] Upgrade or migrate to RT4?

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Fri Aug 26 11:39:03 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 05, 2011 at 01:45:54PM -0700, Paul O'Rorke wrote:
>    I do nightly mysqldumps of the database and tar up the contents of
>    /usr/local/share/request-tracker3.8, /usr/share/request-tracker3.8 and /etc/request-tracker3.8
>    My question is : "It possible to run the upgrade scripts on the database and get the data in
>    the new instance (RT4) without actually upgrading my 3.8.4?" or do I have to run the upgrade
>    process on my 3.8.4 instance?

I believe you're confusing upgrading the libraries and upgrading your
database. You can install RT 4.0.2 on a new server and import your
database and then run the database upgrade steps. Running the 3.8.4 data
under 4.0.2 will not work. You *must* review the database upgrade steps
documented in the README and in docs/UPGADING-3.8 and 4.0 and then
complete all of the steps relevant to your install.

-kevin