[rt-users] RT could not load a valid user

Mike Johnson mike.johnson at nosm.ca
Fri Dec 9 16:18:29 EST 2011

Greetings everyone,

I've done a few searches on this and found various individuals that have
come across similar problems, but none of these individuals had a
resolution that fit my situation.

RT 3.8.10
ExternalAuth0.08 (latest is 0.09 but I don't believe the changes between
these versions are causing the issue)

I have a person in our LDAP that is attempting to send an email in as their
first interaction with RT(that I can tell). The email is rejected and they
get the "could not load user" email response. I've had RT running in debug
mode for a while so I have all the logging in our rt.log file.

The basics of our LDAP setup
(shortened to the important info from our RT_SiteConfig)
        'filter'        =>  '(&(objectCategory=User) (ObjectClass=Person))',
        'd_filter'      =>
'(userAccountControl:1.2.840.113556.1.4.803:=2)',
        'group'         =>
            'cn=Staff,ou=Groups,'
            . 'dc=mydomain'
        ,
        'group_attr'    =>  'member',
        'attr_match_list' => [
            'Name',
            'EmailAddress',
        ],
        'attr_map' =>  {
            'Name'           => 'sAMAccountName',
            'EmailAddress'   => ['mail', 'pager'],
            'RealName'       => 'cn',
            'ExternalAuthId' => 'sAMAccountName'

Set($AutoCreateNonExternalUsers,1);

So essentially, anyone that is an enabled user, in the Staff group is
allowed to actually login to RT(this person is sending an email, not
logging, but I thought it was relevant). attr_map has "mail" and "pager" in
there because our users could be sending emails from either username at nosm.caor
alias at nosm.ca (mjohnson|mike.johnson @nosm.ca) and Ruslan helped us so that
ExternalAuth would map an email from either address to 1 user in RT
provided the AD account had mail = username at nosm.ca and pager =
alias at nosm.ca

With that said... I'm getting the following error messages in RT's log

[Thu Dec  8 20:42:19 2011] [crit]: User creation failed in mailgateway:
Name in use (/opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:244)

[Thu Dec  8 20:42:20 2011] [warning]: Couldn't load user
'somebody at nosm.ca'.giving
up (/opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:962)
[Thu Dec  8 20:42:20 2011] [crit]: User  'somebody at nosm.ca' could not be
loaded in the mail gateway (/opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:244)
[Thu Dec  8 20:42:21 2011] [error]: RT could not load a valid user, and
RT's configuration does not allow
for the creation of a new user for this email (somebody at nosm.ca).
You might need to grant 'Everyone' the right 'CreateTicket' for the
queue Helpdesk. (/opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:244)
[Thu Dec  8 20:42:21 2011] [error]: RT could not load a valid user, and
RT's configuration does not allow
for the creation of a new user for your email.
(/opt/rt3/bin/../lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm:244)

I used the RT configuration interface to search for anything with partial
match of the username/alias (4 characters that I know exist in either email
address) and RT's interface didn't bring back anything matching for Real
Name, Email Address, or Username.

I decided to do a query at the database level on the Users table on those 3
fields(even though that's what the RT interface does...), attempting in
some way to find what RT was finding as the "Name in use" error indicates,
but nothing was returned.

I have already granted our "Everyone" the "CreateTicket" right.

Can anyone tell me what I'm missing?

Ruslan, if you read this, can you let me know if you did any customization
to ExternalAuth to allow for the above mentioned matching, or if
ExternalAuth did that already?

Thanks!
Mike.
--