[rt-users] Upgrading RT installed from distro packages

Ruslan Zakirov ruz at bestpractical.com
Mon Dec 12 07:39:23 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 14:24, Brahim Sakka <brahim.sakka at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed RT in a Ubuntu server version 10.04 using Debian
> packages (apt-get). So the version of RT I'm running (that was
> packaged) is 3.8.7. I want to upgrade RT to the latest and greatest
> 4.0.x.
>
> Will using instructions under README and docs/Upgrading-3.8 get RT
> upgraded for me? Or should I install RT from source on a fresh server
> then export/import database and configuration data from my old 3.8.7
> to the new 4.0.x installation?

I'm not sure how Ubuntu layouts RT's files in the system, but probably it
uses perl's library paths for RT libs and this for sure would conflict
with RT 4.0.
And they should be isolated from each other, especially libs. In this case it's
much harder to install RT4.0 and RT 3.8 on the same system and point them
to different DBs, so you can test upgrade.

You have at least two options:

1) use deb packages from newer ubuntu versions. I'm not an ubuntu user
to estimate effort here. However, in this case you can quickly
recover DB from backup and swap back packages.

2) use another server to perform test upgrade and swap servers.

--
Best regards, Ruslan.