[rt-users] Upgrading RT installed from distro packages

Dominic Hargreaves dominic.hargreaves at oucs.ox.ac.uk
Mon Dec 12 14:24:28 EST 2011

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 04:39:23PM +0400, Ruslan Zakirov wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 14:24, Brahim Sakka <brahim.sakka at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've installed RT in a Ubuntu server version 10.04 using Debian
> > packages (apt-get). So the version of RT I'm running (that was
> > packaged) is 3.8.7. I want to upgrade RT to the latest and greatest
> > 4.0.x.
> >
> > Will using instructions under README and docs/Upgrading-3.8 get RT
> > upgraded for me? Or should I install RT from source on a fresh server
> > then export/import database and configuration data from my old 3.8.7
> > to the new 4.0.x installation?
>
> I'm not sure how Ubuntu layouts RT's files in the system, but probably it
> uses perl's library paths for RT libs and this for sure would conflict
> with RT 4.0.

No, they don't use the default library paths.

> And they should be isolated from each other, especially libs. In this case it's
> much harder to install RT4.0 and RT 3.8 on the same system and point them
> to different DBs, so you can test upgrade.
>
> You have at least two options:
>
> 1) use deb packages from newer ubuntu versions. I'm not an ubuntu user
> to estimate effort here. However, in this case you can quickly
> recover DB from backup and swap back packages.

RT3.8 and RT4 can be installed alongside each other using the Debian
packages. The best option for RT 4 in Ubuntu using the packages is to
upgrade to 11.10 where they are already available.

I believe RT3.8 is also available on 11.10.

--
Dominic Hargreaves, Systems Development and Support Team