[rt-users] Shredder - some tips

Mike Johnson mike.johnson at nosm.ca
Fri Dec 16 14:43:20 EST 2011

Hi everyone,

I'm looking at shredding a ton of old data from our system and I want to
make sure I am understanding the steps involved to ensure everything is
cleaned up properly.

I have shredder setup and have shredded some tickest through the WebUI to
test things out. All is working in that aspect.

My RT instance has had a fairly long lifecycle where queues have come and
gone. I want to clean up the mess. I want to shred all the stuff that isn't
related to anything recent.

I'm thinking I have to do the following:
- shred all the tickets that aren't in the active queues
- shred all users that aren't attached to anything

On the Shredder page of the Wiki it talks about running rt-validator.

Do I have to run this at all after I've done the shredding?

This is going to shred about 30,000 tickets, and a huge number of Users.
Does the shredding have to be done on a quiet system? I've shred a few
tickets while we were live without issue... I'm just worried that I kick
off a process to shred a large volume and it chokes my server out.

Any experience/input is appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike.

--