[rt-users] Full Text Search on mysql 5.6.4 off the shelf

Alex Vandiver alexmv at bestpractical.com
Thu Dec 29 21:22:38 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-12-28 at 13:31 -0800, Ram Moskovitz wrote:
> From the mysql 5.6.4 release notes:
> "MySQL Server 5.6.4 (Milestone Release) is a new version of the
> world's most popular open source database. "
>

> "MySQL now supports FULLTEXT indexes for InnoDB tables."
>

> http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?3,506409,506409
>

> I can't get this release onto a production box,  though it's good to
> see it's come down the pike!

I'm happy to see that it has moved from a specific development project
into the main development tree.  However, as you imply, 5.6 is still
a development branch, and far from production ready.  For instance, RT's
test suite, running against a non-debugging 5.6.4, takes more than twice
as long as on a standard 5.1.54 install.

We've been keeping an eye on MySQL's InnoDB FULLTEXT index, though it
will require some hoop-jumping to make work properly with RT's tables.
RT's transaction contents (the Attachment table) stores text in a
LONGBLOB column, because we store binary attachments in there, as well
as text attachments.  Once the 5.6 series has matured somewhat more,
we'll take a deeper look at using its built-in FULLTEXT index natively
in RT.
 - Alex