[rt-users] Changing passwords/accessing preferences as a normal user

Tyler Morgan tylerm at tradetech.net
Wed Feb 2 21:46:49 EST 2011

On 2/2/2011 6:07 PM, Thomas Sibley wrote:
> On 02 Feb 2011 20:15, Tyler Morgan wrote:
>> How do I allow RT users to change their own passwords?
> This question was last answered on the list three weeks ago
>
> If you found the documentation or the wiki less than enlightening about
> this topic

The fact that someone has to ask how to let users change their own
password twice a month just affirms my suspicion that RT is a convoluted
borderline piece of junk these days. Something this simple should be
immediately intuitive from 5 minutes with the root account. It's far
from intuitive, the menus are laid out terribly, and the whole structure
of the web-based config is trying way too hard for the simple things RT
does. Not to mention the defaults are terrible and there is a whole
second set of config options in the text file. What a mess.

And I have no interest in fixing a for-profit company's documentation --
open source product or not. I'd fix it if bestpractical wasn't involved
in trying to sell RT as well.

Thanks for your help but overall I am starting to regret implementing RT
without a second thought based on experiences 5 years ago. In that time
RT seems to have gone downhill quickly.

RT in its current state is pretty sad in my opinion, but I'm
unsubscribing from this list now. The fact that I had to subscribe to it
in the first place to ask a simple question just proves how out of touch
RT is with the rest of the world. Setup some forums already.

Good luck with 4.0. I hope it's less of a mess than 3.8.8.