[rt-users] How best to allow anyone to access, create tickets and respond to their own tickets

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Thu Feb 17 12:43:48 EST 2011

Adrian,

You determine how "Good" it is buy the way you grant privileges. The mistake
made by most is to grant way too many privileges on a Global basis coupled
with granting privileges to individual users as opposed to "Queue" level
privileges for specific user-defined groups. With RT, you can create any
number of groups with privileges that vary according to the queue they will
be sending/working on tickets in. You can have the same user belong to
several groups, each with different privileges for different Queues. It
really is up to you.

We have Queues that restrict who can create tickets, see the Queue, see the
tickets, reply, own, modify, etc. So we grant very few rights Globally and
allow the managers of each Queue to decide how and what type of access they
want to their respective Queues.

Do you have a consistent policy or philosophy for access/security to the
Queues in your RT installation?

Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL