[rt-users] Backing up RT

Andy Graybeal andy.graybeal at casanueva.com
Wed Jan 5 11:17:43 EST 2011

On 01/05/2011 09:23 AM, Konstantin Khomoutov wrote:
> On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 07:36:46 -0500
> Andy Graybeal<andy.graybeal at casanueva.com>  wrote:

>> If I ever ended up doing LVM snaps, do I need to lock the db first...
>> or can I get away with not locking the db with LVM snaps?
> In this case locking is less important than flushing as you would be
> backing up the filesystem and hence you will need the on-disk database
> representation to be consistent before taking the snapshot. To do this,
> you either have to stop the server just before taking a snapshot, or
> write a complicated script which would work just like mysqlhotcopy but
> would take the snapshot instead of copying the data.
> Note that mysqlhotcopy explicitly states it works only with MyISAM and
> ARCHIVE engines, and the comments on [1] hint that backing up InnoDB
> this way is at least tricky and error-prone.

Argh.. Thank you for the knowledge. This is too much for my plate at the
moment.  I'll put off the LVM snaps until needed and stick with config /
db backups for now. Thanks again.

>> You use logrotate to manage your mysqldumps!  Excellent idea.
>> I need to learn logrotate.  I was wondering how I can keep mysqldumps
>> from each day and not lose control of them.  I'm excited.
> One commonly used straightforward approach is to encode the formatted
> timestamp into the names of generated backup files, like this:
> $ mysqldump ... | gzip -c>/path/to/db-backup-$(date +'%F-%T').sql.gz

Wonderful, I will make use of this technique.  I have seen and used this
technique just last week. Though the addition of gzip is a spin on what
I saw.  I like it.  Here's what I used: `date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`.xml out of
the PF book or website.

> 1. http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/lock-tables.html

Again, thanks for the response.  Very helpful.

-Andy