[rt-users] Backing up RT

Konstantin Khomoutov flatworm at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Jan 5 09:30:25 EST 2011

On Wed, 05 Jan 2011 07:45:33 -0500
Andy Graybeal <andy.graybeal at casanueva.com> wrote:

>> This is exactly what I do.  Is this a decent way to be doing it --
>> I've always just assumed it was okay.  I do it hourly, and then SCP
>> it to another system.
[...]
> What made you do hourly dumps?   I'm thinking now instead of nightly,
> I should be doing hourly dumps like you.

It's just about the amount of stuff you're OK to lose in case of a
problem requiring restoring the DB state from backups: if you have a
very busy RT instance where several ticket transactions per hour is
normal, you would want to do per-hour backups. If you have an RT
instance which only receives few tickets per week (as we do), even
weekly backups would do just fine.
So it's not about one backup schedule being more correct than the other.