[rt-users] rt-client ruby gem

Tom Lahti toml at bitstatement.net
Mon Jan 10 18:57:46 EST 2011

I've filed a bug report.  http://issues.bestpractical.com/Ticket/Display.html?id=16418

This is probably the 3rd time its come up.  I've discussed it with Jesse on the RT user's list and he recommended filing a bug report the last time it came up.  The problem isn't really with rt-client, its with RT.  This non-compliance with RFC 822 when that was intended will cause not only rt-client to fail, but other similar libraries as well that use a 3rd party RFC 822 parser.  Having a space in the field name of an RFC 822 header is not compliant with the RFC.

I suspect that Jesse or someone at Best Practical will patch up RT in a future release to close this hole in their RFC compliance by doing a placeholder substitution, possibly with the addition of a config variable to turn the substition on/off so that those who aren't broken and depend on the space don't get broken by the fix.  Or, they might do it by simply not claiming RFC 822 compliance on the REST interface :)

--
Tom Lahti, SCMDBA, LPIC-1, CLA
BIT LLC

On Jan 10, 2011, at 1:10 AM, Brian McArdle wrote:

> Hi Tom,
>
> First and foremost, thanks a million for the gem, makes my life a lot
> easier! :)
>
> We did hit one issue though - we have some custom fields which contain
> spaces, and this causes TMail to crash with a SyntaxError:
>
> TMail::SyntaxError (wrong mail header: '"CF.{Impacts SLA}: NO\n"'):
>  app/controllers/portal_controller.rb:34:in `tickets'
>
> I managed to remedy this with the below code, which you might be
> interested in putting in the source. I inserted it everywhere in
> client.rb where you made adjustments for Tmail (e.g. line 153).
[snip]