[rt-users] Route tickets to queues based on TO email address

Stephen De Vight Stephen at healthsol.net
Thu Jan 27 19:01:58 EST 2011

I would like to be able to route tickets to different queues based on
the "to" address in the headers of the incoming emails.  Right now I
have one mailbox (ithelp at company) with several aliases (qa at company and
po at company).  I would like to route incoming messages to different
queues based the "to" address.  I want to avoid setting up multiple
mailboxes because we will have about a dozen of these aliases and don't
want to spend the extra money to support the additional mailboxes.

Currently fetchmail is handling the incoming mail with this config:

poll mail.xxxxxx.net protocol imap username "ithelp" password
"xxxxxxxxxxx" mda "/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general --action
correspond --url http://localhost/rt/" no keep

I've done some research into this and have seen multiple possibilities
on how to handle this issue, but frankly I don't have a lot of
experience dealing with email backends, especially on Linux. My options
seem to be:

1) Use fetchmail to direct the messages to some sort of intermediary MDA
that parses the header and forwards to rt-mailgate passing the correct
queue variable

2) Re-write rt-mailgate to direct to correct queues (after staring at
the code for a while I'm still not sure how to even start)

3) Have a script on my "general" queue that moves messages to the
correct queue, similar to this
http://requesttracker.wikia.com/wiki/EmailRouting  (but there doesn't
seem to be a variable I can use here to pull the "to" address)

Does anyone have any experience dealing with this?  I don't need a step
by step tutorial, but a better idea of how to handle this would be much
appreciated!

Thanks,

Stephen De Vight

Health Solutions Network