[rt-users] Passing date variables as dates from the CLI

Chris Herrmann chris.herrmann at faredge.com.au
Sun Jan 30 20:16:12 EST 2011

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for your reply, I'll try generating query files with all the variables already substituted and then executing the contents of these files instead and see how I go.

I admit I'm a bit surprised that this isn't supported (you can do it in perl for example) - it seems like a fairly obvious use case if you're going to bother having a CLI at all, how are you going to automate properly without variables? For example dates (as per my example) but also getting usernames from the shell, new queues / clients etc as you create them. Anyway, just my thoughts. Also not having the ability to export the results to email as an attachment (I worked around this by mutt), or to generate CSV format instead of TSV .

Do ideas for new features get submitted to the bugs list or is there somewhere else they should go?

Regards,

Chris Herrmann
Far Edge Technology

p. 02 84251400
m. 0403 393309
http://www.faredge.com.au

<snip>

You don't.  bin/rt doesn't do variable substitution.  If you need to use environment variables then you need to do it without dropping into bin/rt's shell.

Thomas

</snip>