[rt-users] RT Upgrade from 3.8.8 to 4.0.0 Problem

Kevin Falcone falcone at bestpractical.com
Wed Jul 13 11:48:16 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 03:37:19PM +0000, Roberto Hoyle wrote:
> Kevin Falcone <falcone <at> bestpractical.com> writes:
>
> > Out of curiousity, why was an old version of RT-Authen-ExternalAuth in
> > your RT tree?  Did you upgrade in-place rather than into a clean
> > directory?
>
> Yes, this was an upgrade-in-place.  I inherited the upgrade from someone
> else who did the original install, so I didn't know what local
> customizations had been done and figured that an upgrade would be safer
> than a fresh install.
>
> Is this going to be a problem?

Please review the top of docs/UPGRADING-4.0 as well as the recent blog
post on upgrading:
http://blog.bestpractical.com/2011/07/upgrading-to-rt-4.html
Both of which talk about why upgrading into /opt/rt3 is a bad idea.

> I'm noticing some RTFM issues from the database update, namely that it
> couldn't update RTFM because 2.0 was installed.  I don't believe that we
> use RTFM at all. Can this error be ignored, or is there a way to nuke
> this part of the database so that a fresh install of the most recent
> RTFM will work?

You must have some of the RTFM tables but not all of them?  That's
truly weird.

As the upgrading documentation covers, RTFM is now built into RT 4 as
Articles.  If you don't use it, just remove all the RTFM tables before
upgrading.

> setlogsock(): type='tcp': TCP service unavailable at
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.9/Log/Dispatch/Syslog.pm line 75

Also, you appear to have some invalid logging settings

-kevin