[rt-users] Best way to make one custom field change, based on entry in another, using a many to one scenario

Roger Lockerbie rlockerbie at fairfaxmedia.com.au
Mon Jul 18 18:09:50 EDT 2011

Kevin

Thanks for the heads up. I'll go an have a look.

Regards

Roger

Sent from my iPhone

On 19/07/2011, at 12:58 AM, "Kevin Falcone" <falcone at bestpractical.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 12:13:52PM +1000, Roger Lockerbie wrote:
>>   To set the scene, I'm after a user being able to set the newspaper masthead they work for via
>>   a  populated dropdown custom field, many mastheads may map to one database, and one terminal
>>   server so something like
>>
>>   Masthead,Database
>>   Border Mail, RegionalDB
>>   Ballarat Courier, REgionalDB
>>   SMH, MetroDB
>>   TheAge, MetroDB
>>   Mercury, MetroDB
>>
>>   CF1 would be where you select the masthead, CF2 would result in showing the associated
>>   Database.
>>
>>   Note that there could be hundreds, and they may change regularly hence the desire to provide
>>   some sort of CRUD interface rather than hand coding it within a Scrip.
>>
>>   Any suggestions/pointers would be gratefully received.
>
> You may be able to do some of what you want with Linked customfields
> and/or external custom fields.  You should see the linking mechanism
> in the Admin UI when you have a select one custom field, and you can
> find external custom fields documentation in the docs directory.
>
> -kevin
> <ATT00003>
>
> --------
> 2011 Training: http://bestpractical.com/services/training.html

The information contained in this e-mail message and any accompanying files is or may be confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any use, dissemination, reliance, forwarding, printing or copying of this e-mail or any attached files is unauthorised. This e-mail is subject to copyright. No part of it should be reproduced, adapted or communicated without the written consent of the copyright owner. If you have received this e-mail in error please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail or telephone and delete all copies. Fairfax does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained in this e-mail or attached files. Internet communications are not secure, therefore Fairfax does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message or attached files.