[rt-users] 4.0.0: Upgrade database independently of installed code base?

Alex Peters alex at peters.net
Sat Jun 11 21:37:30 EDT 2011

On 01/-9/-28163 05:59 AM, Kevin Falcone wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 05, 2011 at 08:54:16PM +1000, Alex Peters wrote:
>> I understand that I need to apply a series of sequential
>> upgrades to the copied database in order to make it a 4.0.0
>> schema and complete the 4.0.0 setup, but I can't see how
>> this is done.
>
> make upgrade will actually cleanly install everything into
> /opt/rt4 for you and print out the line.  It is something
> like this:
>
> /opt/rt4/sbin/rt-setup-database --action upgrade --dba YOURDBAUSERNAME
>
> that last part is obviously site-specific.
>
> Please also review docs/UPGRADING-3.8 and docs/UPGRADING-4.0
> and complete any relevant database upgrade steps listed
> there.

Thanks Kevin--this mostly worked.  Some further observations:

1.  The rt-setup-database script relies on the existence of an
     etc/upgrade directory, which in my case wasn't copied as
     part of the installation (probably due to my use of "make
     install" over "make upgrade").  I got around this by
     adding:

         --datadir $TARBALL/etc/upgrade

     to the command line of rt-setup-database (substituting the
     actual location of the tarball extraction for $TARBALL).

2.  I got some Perl errors and warnings while performing the
     database upgrade, but these are probably best left for
     a new discussion thread.