[rt-users] migrating from MySQL to Postgres?

Dario Landazuri dario at astro.as.utexas.edu
Fri Jun 24 16:34:08 EDT 2011

 > RT stores Attachment data differently on MySQL and Pg.  MySQL has
 > binary-safe blobs and Pg doesn't, so we use base64 and quoted-
 > printable encodings (depending on content) on Pg.  You'll likely need
 > to do this conversion yourself and update the relevant metadata
 > columns.
 >
 > This is the most prominent pain point, but there may be others like
 > it too.
 >
 > If you do this successfully, it'd be awesome if you wrote down your
 > steps, problem areas, etc and put it up on the wiki.  I suspect many
 > folks are going to start migrating to Pg due to the easier FTS setup.

Just fyi, I've been playing around with the Migration Wizard
EnterpriseDB has written.  I'm not done yet, there's still two small
problems, but here's what I've found so far:

1) The Wizard fails to migrate tables ScripActions and ScripConditions
with the following error:

Error Creating Table ScripConditions:ERROR: type "varbinary" does not exist

2) I had one ticket (not sure how) with a Due of 0000-00-00 00:00:00,
which made the Wizard fail to migrate the Tickets table.  When I
manually put a date in the Due field, it migrated fine.

3) I hit a java heap out of memory error trying to migrate the
Transactions table.  I manually set the max heap size to 512M in the
script that called the Migration Wizard and it went through.

I'm not 100% sure how to fix the problem in point 1 - any advice would
be helpful.

Additionally, since I'm on the digest instead of full rt-users list,
please cc me if you reply to this.

Thanks,
Dario

Dario Landazuri                    dario at astro.as.utexas.edu
Systems Administrator                         (512) 471-3334
McDonald Observatory