[rt-users] easiest way to not generate emails on a per-ticket basis?

Adam Thompson athompso at athompso.net
Sun Jun 26 12:20:17 EDT 2011

In one application, I have a helpdesk that will be entering tickets on behalf of users who call in; those users will not have direct access to RT.  I would like the helpdesk to enter the tickets with the user’s actual email address as the Requestor, both for ease of tracking (otherwise “support@” is going to own a LOT of tickets) and to ease the transition later when we do give the end-users direct access.

However, in the meantime, I want to be able to easily control whether an email gets sent out or not.  I don’t want to disable emails globally, since we already use RT’s email capabilities for internal clients.

I can handle setting up special “outside” queues that don’t send email, if that’s the easiest way.  What I think would be ideal would be a checkbox on the Create Ticket screen called “disable email for this ticket” with a default that I can set per queue, but obviously that feature doesn’t exist right now.  In its absence, I’m looking for suggestions on how best to do this.

Thanks,

-Adam Thompson

DMTS (Contractor)

athompso at dmts.biz