[rt-users] Rights for creating custom fields

Kenneth Crocker kfcrocker at lbl.gov
Thu Jun 30 13:07:50 EDT 2011

Kevin,

The rights work like this:

*SeeCustomField* - allows the members of the group given this right to
actually see the ticket field and it's current value in the ticket display
(regardless of the Queue).
*ModifyCustomField* - allows the members of the group given this right to
actually "modify" the value in that field for *a ticket* (regardless of the
Queue).
*AdminCustomField* - allows the members of the group given this right to
create, delete, define the name, description, set mandatory value and
possible "select" values for *others* to select from in a ticket (regardless
of the Queue).
*AssignCustomFields* - allows the members of the group given this right to
"apply" or "allow"  a Custom Field to be available for tickets in a Queue.

Granting the 1st 3 rights has no effect on seeing/modifying these custom
fields in a ticket if the CF hasn't been applied to a particular Queue.
These rights were originally set up to be given at the Group level only.
When configuring a Queue, you wouldn't see rights to see or modify a Custom
Field. This is still the general practice as it allows for LESS maintenance
on CF rights. An example:

If I have 20 Queues and Group "A" has various rights to 5 of them. I grant
the rights I want them to have and then whatever Queue has that CF applied
to it AND Group "A" has rights to that Queue, then I don't have to go into
each Queue and grant those rights.

On the other hand, I NOW (due to later versions) CAN grant those rights at
the Queue level for another group that I DO NOT want to have access in the
other Queues, but DO want them to have those tights in the one Queue. What
this does is allow you to grant access to a Custom Field for certain groups
"REGARDLESS of QUEUE" but also allow "additional" access to a role or some
other group on a "QUEUE-by-QUEUE" basis.

We have one group we allow full rights for any CF and they are the System
Admins for our Session. We limit this access because we do NOT want any
Tom,DIck or Harry changing values for CF';s that someone else uses. Makes
for a messy situation.

We even have some CF's that NO ONE can see/modify (except that 1 Admin
group) because we use those CF's for background processing and RT updates
them automatically via scrips, no one else needs to see that info.

Hope this helps.

Kenn
LBNL