[rt-users] "Message body not shown because it is too large."

Sullivan, Rob rsullivan at peerlessnetwork.com
Tue Mar 15 12:43:59 EDT 2011

I'm seeing some unusual behavior on an RT 3.8.9 system just upgraded
from 3.6.6.  It has to do with pasting text from Outlook or Word into a
ticket, and results are different from browser to browser.  Results seem
to be the same regardless of whether we are using rich or plain text
formatting.

Chrome:

Works fine for smaller amounts of text.  Larger amounts (unclear how
big) when saved display the "Message body not shown because it is too
large" message.

Firefox:

Works fine for smaller amounts of text from notepad, etc.  Even pasting
a single line from outlook gives this message.  Pasting that text into
notepad first and then copying from there into RT works fine.

IE8:

Behaves like Chrome.  Small amounts of text are fine, large amounts
display the "Message body..." message.

First up, what is the character limit regardless of the source of the
text being inserted to the ticket?  Does anyone have any idea why
firefox is so unhappy about text coming from rich text formatting apps
(despite not necessarily being in rich text format)?

Thanks,

Rob Sullivan

Systems Engineer, Peerless Network Inc

rsullivan at peerlessnetwork.com