[rt-users] Exchange Email Set-up

Joachim Thuau Joachim.Thuau at heavy-iron.com
Mon Mar 28 11:46:33 EDT 2011

Carl,

The message below is to tell you that your exchange server is not allowing relaying. it is doing that because it has been abused in the past (not you specifically, but “out there”).

There are 2 ways you can solve that problem:

·         The first is to, like suggested by someone else, allow that machine to relay email outside the domain.

o   This will work. Just be sure that you only allow the RT host to relay email, not any other hosts (especially if your exchange machine is exposed to the internet).

·         The second option is to setup your RT machine to use a service account (authentication) when it connects to the send the mail through exchange.

o   Setup a service account, and setup your RT machine to use those credentials to send email. if the email is authenticated, exchange will trust the source and allow the relaying.

The first one is going to be a pure exchange solution (there are plenty of details online to enable relaying to specific hosts from powershell), where are the second is going to be mostly a sendmail/postfix/whatever on the RT side (except for the service account bit).

I hope this puts you on the right track…

Thanks,
Jok