[rt-users] How you manage cc.

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Tue May 24 17:05:45 EDT 2011

 Le 17/05/2011 à 09:38:14-0400, Mike Johnson a écrit
> Albert is actually referring to the email that creates the ticket.

Sorry for my long silence (vacations ;-) )

> John Doe types up an email...
>

> To: rt
> Cc: myboss, hisboss, cio, cao, cfo, grandma, grandpa, thedogdownthestreet
> Subject: my computer is broken
> Body: yup it's broken
>
> myboss receives 1 or more emails(depending on your scrip setup)
>
> The one Albert is saying he gets replies from is
>
> From:John Doe
> To: rt
> Cc: myboss,hisboss,cio,cao,cfo,grandma,grandpa,thedogdownthestreet
> Subject: My computer is broken
>

> myboss hits "reply-all" on this email... this creates a new ticket in RT.
> There is no way for RT to know that the email from John Doe, and the follow
> email from myboss are actually all in 1 ticket.
>
> Now... think down the road, say myboss's reply-all is to hisboss, and hisboss
> hits reply-all to myboss and asks the cio,cao, AND cfo a question each... and
> they reply-all to that email.
>
> All this communication is being sent to rt, as emails without any [rt#number]
> in the subject... and each email creates a new duplicate ticket that all needs
> to be merged in the end...
>
> My above example will create 7 tickets... each with 1 correspondence
> transaction that should all be in 1 ticket.... a nightmare to manage...

Exactly.

> The only thing my brain can think of besides education of the users...

It's not only education it's also I don't have any solution for :

	To  : support (manage by rt)
	cc  : my_college

Inside the IT-Team we using command-by-email and use AddCc: but that's not
a option for the users. So beside the web interface (maybe it's the good
solution) I don't see any solution for that.

Thanks a lot

Regards.

JAS
--